Spring into Safer Cleaning!
Why replace traditional cleaning products with plant-based ones?
- To prevent exposure to unsafe chemicals
- Because newer plant-based products are effective cleaners
Many traditional household cleaners contain chemicals that cause irritation to skin, airway, and eyes. Some air fresheners and all-purpose cleaners contain known carcinogens, such as formaldehyde and ethylene oxide. Still others contain phthalates, which can interfere with normal hormone function. Substituting non-toxic cleaners for traditional ones is one way to take care of your health.
How to find safer cleaning products?
- The Environmental Working Group’s website rates thousands of household products on their safe personal use: https://www.ewg.org/guides/cleaners
Where can I find tips on safer cleaning?
- The Environmental Working Group provides a quick reference sheet: https://static.ewg.org/ewg-tip-sheets/EWG-Cleaners-WalletGuide.pdf?_ga=2.122389259.162178191.1552512578-949081738.1552512578
- WebMD’s archived article: https://www.webmd.com/children/features/safer-cleaning-products#1